Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Potty Training


I am barely surviving potty training........
--can't go anywhere that doesn't have a toilet within 10 yards running distance
--can't have a conversation without saying, "Excuse me, I have to run her to the potty."
--I just really don't love cleaning up accidents
--cold weather clothing just doesn't always come off fast enough

You could say that this is my own fault for choosing to potty train my 20 month old during the cold weather.  But I have really had no choice.  Last week she started potty training herself, stripping down the clothes and not quite making it to the potty.  Saying she needed to go, and then REALLY doing it when I took her.  She basically was demanding that now was the time.  And so we venture into the realm of potty training.  You would think that after 6 kids I would be a master.  I do have my tried and true methods..........but it is NEVER easy!  I just like getting out too much : )





Some tried and true methods I have found from potty training 6 (boys and girls)

*There is something to be said about waiting until they are "ready".
*"Ready" to me is being able to communicate enough to tell you they need to go, and having some desire.  I had a very early talker that took forever to potty train to "fool proof".  I also had a 2 1/2 year old who couldn't talk at all and potty trained to "fool proof" in one day.  Don't wait too long though.  "Ready" means THEY are ready, not YOU.  Sometimes if you miss the window, you could have a battle of the wills with an older child.  I like to potty train at age 2- 2 1/2 ish.  Some I have done a little later, and some a little earlier....
*I aim for SUMMER---clothes are much easier on and off in this season.  If you don't believe me, try it.  As you see, I don't always potty train in summer, but I definitely prefer it.
*Block out 2 weeks of time.  Some will be faster, and some S L O W E R, but you pretty much have to not go out too much for too long during this time.
*As silly as it seems, I always do the bare bum method the FIRST day.  They wear a shirt but nothing else.  This expedites recognizing potty time faster than anything.  If you put underwear on them the first day, they will pee right through them.  
*Pull-ups do NOT work.  Kids are smarter than that.  They realize very quickly that it works just like a diaper.  As much as you don't want wet undies, that is the best way.

2 comments:

  1. My least favorite thing about mothering--including morning sickness and kid vomit and the other "bad" parts of parenting.

    I agree with your list. I have had two, however (my first and fifth) who just wanted to be naked all of the time after they were introduced to the idea. My daughter, four months in, is still constantly naked. When I ask her where her clothes have gone, she raises both hands in the air and with a big smile exclaims, "They're GONE!" Sheesh. (:

    Good luck with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED THIS POST! I think I may have stopped twice to take a breath, but the rest of the time I was laughing. Thank you for the tips. First time momma here that definitely needs all the tips I can get :)

    ReplyDelete