Thursday, September 24, 2009

Comments from Strangers

So yesterday afternoon I ventured to "town" with all of my children.  "Going to town" is what you do when you live in a small enough place that there isn't a Costco or Wal-mart to go shopping at and you have to drive to a bigger city to do so!

My children aren't perfect, but they were having a pretty good day, behavior wise.  Then, it happened.  Those comments I LOVE receiving from random people that I do not even know.

I was walking down the toothpaste aisle, and stopped my cart to scan over all of the toothpaste choices presented and prices that go with.  I admit, I do make people turn their heads.  I had one in the sling on my hip, one in the little seat of the grocery cart, two in the big part of the cart, and the two biggest walking along on their own.  And it was a good moment, no fighting, no crying---and I was nicely taking my time looking over my choices.
Then a lady approaches to reach in and get her own tube of toothpaste.  She smiles at me and says, (direct quote) "I HOPE all of these children aren't yours." 

I say, "ACTUALLY, they all ARE mine." and return the smile.

Was she serious?  Did she really mean to say that out loud to me?  My reaction shocked her a bit.  She made her toothpaste choice and headed to the next aisle.



I know that there are those that might think sometimes that I am the lady who "had so many children she didn't know what to do."  I wonder if they ever think that I HAD THESE CHILDREN ON PURPOSE.  I love them and wouldn't trade any of them back!  Imagine that....
I know there are others of you out there that have had one of these wonderful experiences of random comments from complete strangers.  Since having more than two children might make you a spectacle to others at the grocery store, BE STRONG!  You are a wonderful mother.  Being a mother of many doesn't make you crazy!  
Any funny stories to share?????


4 comments:

  1. The "View" was commenting on how many kids people have now compared to the early 1900's. Funny how just a short period of time with the invention of birth control and women in the work force make! Like Deborah wrote in her blog when someone made a comment to her at the store- "better to have full arms than empty arms!" If only that lady new what a great mom you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Melissa I think you are a wonderful mom, and you have such well mannered children. That lady is just jealous, she probably had little hellions running around her home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, you get pretty thick skinned after awhile. It's the comments like "you aren't going to have more" that makes one want to say -I didn't know that I couldn't? It's not just with your era!! Appreciate them now--cause soon they will be gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the "Please tell me you aren't having any more children" in NYC when we only had 2 kids. All I have to do though is remember how many people would stop me at the store and say "God bless you for having children" in that same city. Not everyone feels so negatively about children, but unfortunately they are usually the most vocal.

    ReplyDelete