Monday, August 10, 2009

The 5K



Today, I made a phone call. My fingers began to sweat as I dialed the phone number. My heart started beating fast and a lump moved upward, inhibiting my breathing.


I registered for my first 5K. This really shouldn't have been a big deal. Oh, but it is.........
I imagine myself running along looking like this.....
But the reality is that I will look more like this----
with a lot of sweat running down my face!
That girl in the top picture has definitely NOT had 6 children. She isn't in her 30s, and she doesn't have to wear two sports bras to hold up the nursing ladies that are substatially heavier than normal if the baby hasn't fed for a few hours! (or even just one hour : )
Nor does she have the fear of wetting her pants because of those 6 vaginal deliveries that have left the bladder oh so not the same.
But that is OK. I can dream of looking like her. I am just glad to be running in my first 5K. I have never been a runner. I really still am not one. But some other mom friends and myself have been running (or should we say jogging and walking) three times a week to get our bodies into a little better shape. We are joining the 5K because the fear of humiliation keeps us exercising regularly. We are on our 5th week of the "Couch to 5K" program. You should try it. Apparently, it says that in 9 weeks it can get any couch potato ready to run a 5K. And since busy moms are moving much more than a couch potato, we figured we could do it!!!!
And most importantly.......................we are getting a free T-shirt to prove our craziness!

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I like your choice of pictures. Also, I was curious where you found the stuff to download on your ipod that tells you when to run, jog, walk, etc. I want it for when I'm not pregnant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love love....you you you...and your blog blog blogs....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the link! I am stuck on running a mile on the treadmill- time to step it up. That's so great you have a support group. Good luck with the 5K!

    ReplyDelete