Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I chopped up the cat....

How do you tell your kids that you chopped up the cat? A baby kitten at that.


One of my worst nightmares has now come true. I have always heard that cats sometimes crawl up inside the engine area of vehichles to stay warm, especially when you have parked a warmed up car in the winter. And THEN, if they are still asleep there when the engine propeller starts up.................it is just more than you want to imagine.
But it is summer. That can't happen, right? Well, it did.

I loaded up all of the kids to head over for a swim at the City Pool. Threw in the towels, locked the house, jumped in the car, and started it up. THUNK, THUNK, THUNK,..............my mind raced as to what could be wrong with the car. And then I screamed (inside my head) as I looked out of my window and could see puffs of fur. Sorry for the graphic details, it was a scarring experience! I started to cry, and the kids ask what is wrong, all I can say is, "No one look out in front of the car, look down."

All I can think is, "I am going to back up and my kids are going to see there own pet chopped up on the ground in front of them." There was just no good way out of this situation. I slowly backed up the car .....back......little more back................back........no kitten.........still no kitten......but I did see the fur puffs????................................

Nothing fell out. An answer to prayer! But it is in there. At least the children and I didn't have to visually witness it. I called the dad of our house. I told him that in the fine print of our marriage contract it says that HE is responsible for pulling out dead kittens from inside the hood of the car. I know, that is just terrible to say out loud! Just be glad it didn't happen to you!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Melissa, I'm so sorry. What a terrible thing to have happen. Sounds like you did a pretty good job at protecting your kids from emotional scars, but it may be awhile before YOU forget that one. Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i almost cried...i really did. i am so glad that the only thing my kids have witnessed was a belly-up goldfish....

    ReplyDelete